Food safety and quality
Quality is a key part of our relationship with our customers, shoppers and consumers, who trust our brands to be safe and high quality, with great packaging design. Our purpose of ‘celebrating life every day, everywhere’ is underpinned by a rigorous global quality policy.
Global quality policy
Our global quality policy, which applies to all our businesses and joint ventures, covers quality requirements from design, through production and sales. This includes the necessity for accurate labelling which must comply with regulations in both the country of manufacture and the intended markets. We also require our suppliers to comply with the policy.
As set out in the policy, our quality objectives are to design and produce brands in a way that:
- Ensures they are always safe for consumption and meet all applicable regulations
- Meets the needs of our customers and expectations of consumers (safe, defect-free, fully functional and with a consistent taste)
- Protects our brands and reputation.
Our aim is to deliver the brand promises we make to every consumer on every occasion. Additionally, the premium status of many of our products means that we often exceed market requirements and quality norms. To deliver on this promise and fulfil consumer expectations, our standards are designed to address even the smallest ‘defects’ such as a tiny label tear or glue smear.
Performance this year
We measure quality standards internally (defects) and externally (customer and consumer complaints).
- Defects: Our liquids are stringently tested before packaging such that the safety and quality of our liquids is assured. Our complex and highly automated packaging processes can sometimes give rise to aesthetic defects. To deliver the highest level of customer satisfaction packaging quality was made a bigger strategic priority this year, resulting in a 27% reduction in aesthetic defects leaving our manufacturing sites.
- Customer and consumer complaints: We gather customer and consumer complaints through our consumer care lines and customer networks. All complaints are investigated and the information is used to eliminate future problems. We aggregate complaints data regionally and globally, and have a target to reduce the number of complaints we receive each year. This year our global rate of complaint was just 39 concerns* per million units sold.
*Note all concerns are recorded even if there is no evidence or proof of fault on Diageo’s behalf.