Health and wellbeing
Certainly, a person who feels happy, healthy and valued in their workplace is more likely to perform at his or her peak, and contribute to our company’s long-term success. But also, we care about our colleagues’ health and wellbeing simply because it’s the right and rewarding thing to do.
In practical terms, this means providing a wide range of professional occupational health support, health education programmes and other initiatives to meet the different priorities of people in our operations around the world. Those priorities vary hugely. As a drinks company we believe it is important to promote responsible drinking to our own people. We provide support to employees in Africa affected directly or indirectly by HIV and AIDS. And we help employees in mature economies to maintain healthy fitness levels. Here are details of some of our ongoing programmes.
Highlights of our programmes
Following are some of the key programmes through which we promote our employees’ health and wellbeing.
- DRINKiQ: we engage with our employees on the issue of responsible drinking through our global resource, DRINKiQ.com. Our internal DRINKiQ initiative is designed both to help employees make responsible decisions for themselves, and to give them the confidence to be ambassadors for responsible drinking. It has proved hugely successful and DrinkIQ is now part of our employee induction programme in 21 countries.
- Combating HIV and AIDS is a core focus for Diageo in Africa. Since 2003, each of our operating companies in Africa has adopted HIV and AIDS workplace education programmes, and provided treatment for employees and their families, through the Live Life employee wellness programme. The programme includes:
- HIV/AIDS education and awareness programmes
- Training of peer educators, known as Life Coaches, in additional wellness topics
- Access to free Voluntary Counselling and Testing (VCT)
- Healthy living, fitness and nutrition advice
- Promotion and distribution of condoms
- Treatment and care programmes for opportunistic diseases
- Free anti-retroviral drugs for the management of HIV infection
- Occupational health practice at all operations and on-site medical clinics.
- Occupational health programmes: Diageo recognises the importance of exercise and relaxation and the benefits yielded for productivity and wellbeing in the workplace. That is why some of our larger facilities have on-site fitness centres which all employees and guests can enjoy. Across some other sites, employees can enjoy subsidised memberships to external fitness facilities and still others offer health and wellbeing programmes such as dedicated ambassadors that promote wellbeing in the office or team competitions encouraging exercise and healthy eating.
Above are just a few examples of the types of activities and initiatives available to Diageo employees globally. We are highly committed to the health and wellbeing of our employees and therefore we will continue to increase focus in this area and drive further programmes and initiatives at all of our locations.